Find your happy at the Humane Society!
Volunteers are a vital part of our organization. With their help, we are able to meet our mission of “Advancing the welfare of animals and promoting positive relationships between animals and people.” You too can be a part of this mission and join a team of compassionate animal lovers.
Want to learn more about becoming a volunteer at The Humane Society for Tacoma & Pierce County? Please feel free to contact us.Current Volunteer Login
What does it take?
First, there are a few questions you really need to ask yourself:
- Do I enjoy interacting with people?
- Am I ready to make a firm commitment to the animals today and give my time?
- Am I at least 16 years old?
- Am I ready to roll up my sleeves and jump in?
If you have answered YES to all of the questions, then you are ready to proceed to the next steps:
- Attend a General Orientation session
- Consider bringing a bag of dry dog or cat food when you attend a General Orientation session to support our Pet Food Pantry
We have completed our General Volunteer Orientations for 2016. Below is our 2017 General Volunteer Orientation Schedule:
- Friday, February 10: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Sunday, February 12: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Friday, April 7: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Sunday, April 9: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Friday, June 2: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Sunday, June 4: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Friday, August 4: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Sunday, August 6: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Friday, October 6: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Sunday, October 8: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
GENERAL ORIENTATION & TRAINING:
Note: Seating is limited to the first 100 people and begins at 9:00 am. Doors are closed after 9:00 am, so please be on time. No RSVP is required to attend Orientation. Training for specific volunteer programs will be held immediately following the Orientation.
How old do you have to be to volunteer?
You must be at least 16 years old to volunteer at the shelter.
What is the volunteer commitment?
A six-month commitment is the minimum requirement, which gives you time to obtain the necessary training to keep you and the animals safe. The amount of hours you volunteer each month during that six-month period varies by program.
Can I carry out community service hours at the Humane Society?
No. However, if you are already a volunteer and have fulfilled the minimum requirements as outlined in our volunteer program, then your hours can be authorized.
What type of experience or qualifications do I need to volunteer?
Our programs are so diverse; we can typically accommodate a wide range of skill sets.
What sorts of programs do you offer volunteers?
We offer a wide variety of volunteer positions, such as:
- Special Events: Assist with planning and conducting events such as our annual Dog-A-Thon fundraiser and offsite adoptions to help pets find their forever homes.
- Bath Brigade: Bathe and groom shelter animals to improve their health and make them more adoptable.
- Foster Program: Nurture and socialize dogs, puppies, cats, kittens or rabbits, in your home until they are ready for adoption.
- Matchmaking (Pet Adoption): Assist potential adopters with the selection of a new companion animal, the adoption process and general use of resources.
- Spay/Neuter Project: Assists low-income Pierce County residents with spaying or neutering their pets.
- Website Photography: Take photos of shelter pets and upload them into our shelter database for viewing.
It doesn’t stop there! The Humane Society for Tacoma & Pierce County offers many other opportunities for volunteers to share their skills and talents. You can find out about other exciting programs at General Orientation.