We advance the welfare of animals and promote positive relationships between animals and people.
we’re social animals
- No matter how many times we see it, it’s always a tearful moment when a family is reunited with a pet they thought was gone forever.
Butters disappeared two years ago, and yesterday a couple found her wandering thirty blocks away, and brought her in. Thanks to her microchip, the Mershons got to the shelter in time to thank the people who found her. There were hugs and tissues all around!
- Are you looking to add a pet to your family who will bring love and tranquility to your home? If your answer is “yes”, then Duke may be just the boy for you! Duke is a very sweet 10 year old German Shepherd who is looking to find his forever family. This lovable pup is looking for a home that reflects his calm personality and will give him all of the love he deserves. Due to his age, Duke does have some issues with arthritis in his hips. For this reason, it is recommended that he go to a home with children over the age of ten. Don’t miss your chance to take Duke home today! If this sweet boy does not find his forever home this week, he will be hanging out at Dog-A-Thon this Saturday at Fort Steilacoom Park in Lakewood. It’s a guaranteed fun time for humans and dogs alike! We’ll see you there! Reference #A487900
- Our Barn Cat program is saving lives - - and you don’t even have to have a barn! This homeowner has four altered “Community Cats” who keep the rodents under control while enjoying a sunny yard and this great outdoor home. If you can provide food, water, and protection from the elements, we have cats for you! Contact Patty at 253-284-5812
- Shelter pets need your help! Our annual fundraising event, the Dog-A-Thon, is just eight days away. There’s plenty of time to raise pledges and make a real difference in the lives of shelter pets. Visit our website to download a pledge form, or start collecting donations online at www.firstgiving.com/dogathon. Funds raised through this event provide special food, medical care, enrichment, therapy, and other essentials that help shelter pets find loving homes. Start now, and join us Saturday, July 26 from 9:00 – 2:00 pm at Fort Steilacoom Park in Lakewood.
The Humane Society for Tacoma and Pierce County
As the largest animal shelter in Washington State, the Humane Society finds homes for more than 6,000 animals every year, and reunites thousands more with their owner. They provide veterina…
- Harry came to us so badly neglected, he could barely walk. His toenails were digging into his paws, his ears were matted over, and he was missing an eye. In spite of all that, he wiggled like crazy when you approached, and would lick your hand and lean against your legs, desperate for attention. Our wonderful volunteer Theron clipped him and gave him a bath, and yesterday this woman fell for him. She told us “Harry just won the dog lottery! He’s going to get the very best care from now on. He’ll sleep on my bed, and I’ll spoil him rotten!” Well, you deserve it, Harry!
- This week’s Featured Kitty is a boy who is as beautiful on the inside, as he is on the outside. Luke is a gorgeous 7 year old Lynx Point & white cat who is ready to go home with you today! This sweet guy came to the shelter in early June and tends to be a bit shy when it comes to getting noticed by potential adopters. Once Luke is given a chance to shine, you will see that he could be the perfect addition to your family. He will love to spend time with you by curling up on your lap for a siesta or playing with some toys. Luke came from a quite household and would probably prefer to find another. He has had limited exposure to children and has never been around other pets, so a slow introduction would be necessary! This guy will go fast, fall in love with Luke today! Reference #A486852
- Cool it! As many of you know, there is an “excessive heat watch" for the Puget Sound area for this weekend. Temperatures are expected to be in the upper 80s to low 90s on both Saturday and Sunday, continuing into next week. Please keep your pets at home, and keep them calm, cool, and hydrated. Avoid uneccesary exertion, and don’t walk dogs on hot pavement. Use common sense and remember that dogs overheat much faster than people.
If you need a place to cool off with your pet, Petco and Petsmart stores welcome pets and their owners, as well as the 24-hour VCA Veterinary Center, at 10324 Pacific Avenue in Spanaway.
- This week’s Featured Pet is one sweet guy named Reesie! Reesie is an 8 year old neutered Dachshund who is eagerly awaiting his forever home! This brown boy has been described by his past owner as very loyal and playful. He has also has positive interactions in the past with other dogs, as well as cats! It can be said that Reesie is an independent pup. He loves to sit and your feet for head pats, but is also okay spending time on his own. If you work regular hours during the day, Reesie doesn’t mind being at home and holding down the fort. Due to his age, Reesie would do best in a home with adults and older children. Don’t miss your chance to take this sweet boy home today! Reference #A486902
- When little Boo went missing on the evening of the 4th, Israel spent all night looking for him, and didn’t stop until we called him today to say Boo had arrived at the shelter, tired but safe. They were both very happy, and very relieved. Boo was the 41st stray pet to be reunited with an owner since Friday. Whew!
- If you’re looking for a feline companion who is in need of comfort and love—look no further than our girl Daisy. This black and white beauty came to the shelter back in April and is ready to go home. Daisy would benefit from a quiet home without a lot of distractions. A home where she can give you her complete love and attention with out a second thought. Daisy tends to be a bit timid and shy, but once she feels comfortable, she is a true lover. It is unknown if Daisy has had positive interactions with other pets in the past, so a slow introduction is necessary. Are you the person to give this wonderful girl he home she deserves? Come meet Daisy today! Reference #A485013
It's simple, to advance the welfare of animals in Tacoma and Pierce County. As a local, independent 501(c)3 non-profit, we at The Humane Society for Tacoma & Pierce County rely on donations to fund our organization’s vital programs. Visit us in person or check out our adoptable animals to find your family’s newest addition!